Monday, June 11, 2012

Running on Empty

This is not the post I had originally planned on today.  Instead, as it usually happens, our lives get derailed.  I have been on the phone this morning with two people I love dearly that are running on empty.  Their spiritual gas tanks have taken a nose dive.  They're running on fumes.  I find it interesting that yesterday's sermon is again playing over and over in my head.  Having faith even when we are running on empty.  No, this isn't the true title of the sermon, but this is what I got from it.  Our pastor, a gifted orator and teacher, highlighted John and how he was the last of the disciples to stay with Jesus.  Even until the end.  John was a great example of unfailing faith.  Much like how God is always faithful to us, even when we are less than deserving.

These two people, their lives so different are suffering from faith failure.  One is afraid of losing work in an already bad economy.  One is afraid of losing the love of her life to cancer.  These individuals are two of the strongest Christians I know.  Both of these people have helped develop me, shown me how to be a servant by example, and love the Lord with all my heart. These two people love the Lord, and yet, bad things are happening to them.  God never promised us that our lives would be easy.  He promised that we are not alone.  We are loved.  HE is with us even when we feel very much alone.  We must talk to Him and call out to Him when we can no longer bear the weight of the world on our shoulders. 

I find myself encouraging them, praying for them in the quiet of my office.  Reading scripture and meditating on what I know to be the truth. 

Philippians 4:6-7
Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything; tell God your needs, and don't forget to thank Him for His answers. If you do this, you will experience God's peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will keep your thoughts and your hearts quiet and at rest as you trust in Christ.

Psalms 40:1-3
I waited patiently for God to help me; then He listened and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out from the bog and the mire, and set my feet on a hard, firm path and steadied me as I walked along. He has given me a new song to sing, of praises to our God. Now many will hear of the glorious things He did for me, and stand in awe before the Lord, and put their trust in Him.


John 14:18
No, I will not abandon you or leave you as orphans in the storm - I will come to you.








No comments:

Post a Comment