Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Riding High


This Saturday, I loaded Iney up in the Barbie trailer and headed off to Fox Creek Horse Camp in Troutdale, Va.  It's "SUPPOSED" to be only 45 minutes away from my house, but the Nat'l Forestry Service gave some CRAZY directions.  Needless to say, it took me 2 hours to get there and I even ended up in NC at one point.  *SIGH*  Oh, well.  We got there in one piece, and I was very proud of that seeing as it was my first time driving a truck and trailer.  Whew!

 Iney munched on hay waiting on me to get my ride on...

 I met up with Nickie and Grace.  My Craigslist stalkers.  I met Grace (right on gray horse) 2 years ago when she came and took Blackie, our mini, off our hands.  I had listed him on Craiglist and she sounded like the best fit for our little guy.  She's an experienced horse lady and so much fun!  She, in turn, brought Nickie, who SHE met on Craigslist.  This is starting to sound kind of creepy, so I'll end the story about how we met. hee hee

 The best view a gal can have...

 Going up the Virginia Highlands Horse Trail.  We were in Mt. Rogers National Park in Grayson County.  It was BEAUTIFUL and about 10 degrees cooler than further down. 

 We had to figure out where we were going, so Grace refers to my map.
She gets a second opinion from her horse Sophie Mae.  Sophie said we needed to go back.  HA!
 Iney and me!!!
Sophie Mae and the wild pink roses. 
The mountain laurels were about a week from really busting out.  They were bountiful and beautiful.
 Iney loved being in the back of the pack.  At one point, she was in the lead and kept snorting.  We need to build up her confidence a bit, but every ride will do that.  This is only her 2nd ride. 
Nickie on Sugar, me on Iney.  I was BEYOND proud of my girl.  She crossed difficult water passages, bridges, mud, saw deer, heard the wild ponies, saw motorcycles, cars, crossed a busy road, picked through some very rocky terrain and didn't balk once.  She is really coming along as my trail buddy.  Oh, and with the correct directions, it did take me only 45 minutes to get home. 

1 comment:

  1. You can barely even tell that Mae has BOOTS on, not shoes!

    ReplyDelete