Thursday, June 14, 2012

Ain't Too Proud...

This is Anna's cut on her left knee from Iney kicking the snot out of her.  She popped the stitches Frances had sewn.  I called Frances and she said it was ok, just keep it clean and be careful of proud flesh.  HUH?  What in the world is that?  Well, I researched it, and the picture below illustrates what proud flesh is.  It's basically just an over accumulation of granular tissue on a wound, typically below the knees or hocks on horses.  It can cause a lot of damage if left untreated and the treatment varies from meat tenderizer, to prescribed medications, caustic agents (Furazone), to surgery.  I noticed Anna's wound was looking a bit "proud" and thought I'd try to fight it off as best as I can.  I put her in her stall, pulled out the stitches and went to work...




 I put some Furazone on it after cleaning it and then vet wrapped it.

 I came home that evening and found that the wrap slacked, and the wound was dirty.  Yuck.

So, I washed it off.  Lots of hydrotherapy is recommended.  We do it 2x a day.  I think Anna likes it.  In one of my vet books I read about spider bandaging.  It is a great bandage for knees and hocks as they move so much.  So, I set out and looked for a unused pillowcase, and did this!  (See below) 

 
I put some triple antibiotic cream on the wound and covered it.

 Put a stylish quilted pad over it.  I didn't want to spend the $$ on a set of 4, so I made some with leftover fleece and flannel I had.  I have to say, I was quite impressed on how well they turned out!!!  Maybe a tutorial later????


 And started braiding the pillow case down her leg.  The spider bandage looks intimidating, but it's not.  VERY simple.  I also You Tube'd it to see EXACTLY how to do it. 

VIOLA!  The end result! 

 I added another quilted pad to the bottom and wrapped a polo wrap around it like a standing wrap.  I made the wraps as well out of fleece.**NOTE of caution!  Wrap from the inside out to avoid tendon compressions.** I pinned it twice.  Very secure and VERY fashionable!

 Anna inspects her new leg wear.  So far, so good!  I have some Equaide on the way, so I'll start treating with that as soon as it comes in.  Sometimes I wish I had become a vet.  I just don't think I could have put animals to sleep though.  *sigh* 

No comments:

Post a Comment