Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Encouragement


Shannon took this picture of his girls this past Sunday.  These were "supposed" to be our Easter dresses, but sickness prevented us from going.  I look at this picture and shrug.  I see that I have at least 10 more pounds to lose, how blindingly white I am, and how I wish Pyper were looking at the camera.  I see the imperfections.  I always do.  As an adult,  there are times I feel I am still  learning to be able to accept who I am, how God made me,  and to not worry about fitting into any one’s mold but the mold God made for ME.   I want my children to learn to be okay when someone doesn’t accept them for who they are.  That role starts with us.  I have posted several times on my radical ideas for educating, and creating a loving, safe environment for my family, and we want to do this to make them the best that they can be.  We want to protect them, SHELTER them from sin.   I want to teach my children to love and fear God.  To know that He created them perfectly and that even when someone comes against them, they know that beyond a shadow of a doubt, they are loved.  For who they are. 

In Deuteronomy 6:1-9, it states: These are the commands, decrees and laws the Lord your God directed me to teach you to observe in the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess, 2 so that you, your children and their children after them may fear the Lord your God as long as you live by keeping all his decrees and commands that I give you, and so that you may enjoy long life. 3 Hear, Israel, and be careful to obey so that it may go well with you and that you may increase greatly in a land flowing with milk and honey, just as the Lord, the God of your ancestors, promised you.4 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 5 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6 These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 9 Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates.

 Shannon and I were both raised in loving, Christian homes and we are passing that legacy onto our children.  When difficult or trying times came into our lives, my parents and his parents would draw on prayer and the Scripture to guide us.  I want this for my children. That doesn't mean we are perfect parents. We are not.  Far from it.  But we are forgiven, and can set out each day to make it as best day as we can.  There are several things I see that I wish I could change.  I will start with having Christ shine through me so that my children will have an example to live by.

No comments:

Post a Comment