Thursday, July 19, 2012

Skinny Minny

We brought Abby home from training this past weekend.  In 6 weeks, she dropped a lot of weight, became ribby and seemed "down."  Mark, the trainer, called me multiple times, telling me what a nice filly she was, but that he felt she just wasn't "right."  She had lost weight, seemed sluggish, and TOO mellow for a 2 year old.  He thought perhaps it was just too much for her too soon.  She went from being with her buddies, Iney and Anna, to a strange horse pal.  From lush, green pastures to a dirt lot fed hay.  He supplemented with grain, but she still lost weight.  He didn't over-ride her, only about half an hour a day, 6 days a week, but apparently, that was too much for HER.  I suggested we bring her home, let her chill out and resume training in cooler weather if  needed.  I love this sweet girl.  I don't want to do anything to jeopardize her sweet ways.  I just appreciate a trainer that pays attention to the horse and its well being, and not so much on his pocket.  How refreshing.





 I'm happy to report, she is happy and has started gaining weight!

Iney getting some sniffs in to make sure Abby's the same as when she left.  Check!

No comments:

Post a Comment