Thursday, April 28, 2011

Spring Projects

Since it's been consistantly warm here in SW Va, I decided to try my hand at planting seeds, and then transplanting once they get big enough. My Grannie and I had done this several years ago with great success, so I decided to do it again...

Above are some Merigolds I planted. In 3-4 days, they started to sprout! The envelope stated it would take 14 days to germinate! I have super powers when it comes to gardening. Anyone who knows me, knows this is a huge lie, but I like to believe it.




These are some African Daisies making their debut! I decided to just use some little Dixie cups for my containers until I can transplant. I used Jiffy Organic Starting Mix, and a variety of both annual and perrenials.



Pyper loves to play outside, and has a fit when we try to bring her in. So, Shannon decided to make a little play yard for her to include her swings, her playhouse MaMom and PaPa bought her, a picnic table and soon, a sand box. Shannon used landscape timbers to frame it out. Pyper had to supervise....




There is not a single area on our farm that is level. This makes for lots of terracing and landscape timbers!




Hammish, our resque cat from the local animal clinic, inspects Shannon's progress. He decides it's up to his standards, and then goes and sprays the corner of it. Thanks, Hammish.






Pyper is daddy's helper, and assists with the measuring tape.





It's almost finished! We just need to add the sandbox, and mulch to make it a bit more kid-friendly. However, Pyper loves to play in the dirt and we're still debating leaving the dirt. I just don't want the cats to use it as a litter box. That would be nasty.






Here are the swings. The horse swing is a bit wobbly when Pyper's on it, so I think we'll have to take it down until she gets a bit bigger and has better balance. The swings look over our soon-to-be-planted garden and creek.




Pyper is already enjoying Shannon's hard work. We are so blessed to have him. He makes life on the farm so much better and a lot more fun!





Pyper ends the day mowing around her play yard. It's a little John Deere mower I got at a yard sale last year for $1. That was a good $1 spent! It's one of her favorite outdoor toys.




















No comments:

Post a Comment