Monday, March 4, 2013

Books

 
I went to the library a few weeks ago and came home with some wonderful treasures.  I found this book that I have found fascinating.  It is so well written and the pictures are great.  It's like a time machine.  John Seymour, the author, was raised in Wales and he writes of his personal reflections of growing up in a time I can only read about.  It does remind me of stories my Grannie use to tell me about. 
 

 
 I really liked this part about how milk was stored, carried and essentially the task of getting milk.  I'm a bit obsessed on the milk issue lately (have you seen that documentary Food Inc., King Corn or Farmageddon???  If not, turn this blog off NOW and rent them, choose it on Netflix, Roku, whatever.  It will change how you view food and milk.)
 
 
What's better than butter?  My mom would say a close second would be cream.  I agree with her.  These are old fashioned butter molds, and I thought they were really cool.  Did you know that butter was sold by the yard back at the turn of the century?  It was.  I learned that by reading this book.  Cool, huh?
 
 
 
I just finished reading this gem of a book.  I think I'm going to get it for everyone I know for Christmas 2013...so act surprised people!  It's written by a native Virginian, Joel Salatin, owner and operator of Polyface Farms in Swope, Va. He puts such an intelligent spin on farming that makes you take a step back and say, "Huh.  I never thought of it that way."  He is so intelligent, that I feel smarter by just reading it.  You will too.  I promise!  Great resource for homesteaders, people who want to grow their food, or just people who want to know WHERE their food is coming from.  Fantastic read.  Have I said that yet???
This one is another favorite this week.  I typically read several books at one time.  This one is my "I'm slow in clinic and have time to read about raising pork" book.  I keep it in my purse, so if there's a lag between university students getting their monthly STD screenings, I can just whip it out and pass the time with swine.  I really want to raise my own pigs, but Shannon is a bit apprehensive.  If he read this book, he wouldn't be.  His biggest concern is our farm smelling.  If a farm smells, it's not being managed properly.  Bottom line.  Not to mention, I'm going to raise my porkers on pasture.  Not confined in a pen.  They'll have 10 acres to squeal and root and poop.  YUM!  One of technicians at the pharmacy, Joy, her husband was raised on a farm and he offered to help me butcher mine.  I think it would be a learning experience, and I think I'd like to try my hand at it.  I'll keep on working on Shannon and let you when/if he comes around. 

1 comment:

  1. I watched Farmageddon and it made me want to go buy a cow and sell raw milk. I thought the line, "the only crop more highly regulated than raw milk is marijuana,' was interesting. Unbelievable that the government killed that flock of sheep for a disease that didn't even exist.

    ReplyDelete