Monday, March 18, 2013

Easy Custard


I've been searching for yummy recipes to not only use up my copious amounts of eggs (getting on average 4-5/day), but also a recipe that Raegan will enjoy so she'll fatten up.  Since she's had a milk allergy, she won't drink milk.  However, she can eat cheese, yogurt and eat anything with milk products in it.  Strange.  SO, I found this very easy and delicious custard for her. 


 Start with 5 egg yolks.  See how orange and beautiful these are?  I have happy chickens!

 1 tsp of vanilla extract.  However, I use Vanilla Bean Paste.  It's amazing.  It has such a robust and wonderful flavor.   It's like the difference between hamburger and steak.  I got this at Ross, for $5.99.  Originally about $11.  Every time I go there, I pick one up in the kitchen area.  Why I love this paste so much???  It even has the bean flecks in the syrup.  MMMMMM....

 Mix 1/2 Cup of heavy whipping cream, 1/2 Cup of whole milk, put in a sauce pan and bring nearly to a boil.  Then add 1/4 Cup of raw honey (I use local to prevent allergies!) and mix with the egg yolks.  Be sure to temper the egg solution so the eggs don't curdle...




I found these custard cups at Walmart.  They are the perfect size (8 oz) for this recipe to make 4 dishes.  First, warm a water bath in the oven on 325 degrees.  Then add the empty cups.  I fill them to about an inch from the top, and run through the oven for 1 hour or until golden on top, like below...

 I was worried Raegan wouldn't like custard because she's funny with textures.  BUT, as you can see...she LOVES them!  And I feel really good giving this to my kiddos because there is no refined sugar, and only natural ingredients (including RAW milk...a post later about that!)! 




Bake on!!!

2 comments: