Thursday, February 9, 2012

Baby Wearing, Teething Tablets, Knitted Hats & Necklaces

Raegan has been teething. She's not been a happy camper--at all. My friend, Brandy, knitted this adorable little hat for her. I think it makes her look like a little elf. It keeps her warm, and a warm baby is a happy baby. Except for when they're teething. Oh, I could kiss those cheeks forever.




One night, I ended up just walking the floors for HOURS while I wore her. Anytime I would stop walking and patting her bottom, she would wake up and scream. Needless to say, Shannon and I were exhausted. I wore her, the nanny wore her, Shannon wore her...you get the point. Wearing a baby is so comforting for both the baby and caretaker. There have been studies that show that a baby that is worn grows faster physically, developmentally, cognitively, and emotionally. She frequently nestles down and takes naps while I putter around the house while I wear her. In the above picture, she drooled some of the left-over teething tablets onto the wrap. Tylenol has become our friend as well.






After 3 days of teething and a nasty cold, she graced us with one of her trademark smiles. This makes going to work with one eye open (with a toothpick, at that!) and falling into quick sleep just to be jerked awake by cries, worth it.


A sad note--we thought that by mid week, she was finished with teething. Until she started waking up crying again. Co-sleeping didn't even soothe her. From what I have researched, babies can teeth on and off for MONTHS. YIKES! Pyper never suffered this badly. Today, the nanny has had to wear her nonstop. So now I'm going to try one of these:




Not the random baby. The necklace. It's a Baltic Amber Teething necklace.
Amber is a natural analgesic (pain reliever) and anti-inflammatory. When amber is worn on the skin, the warmth of the skin releases trace amounts of healing oils on the skin. Commonly known as "teething jewelry," baltic amber has been a natural and traditional European remedy for teething discomfort for hundreds of years.


It may sound a little out-there and wacky. Perhaps even bordering on mysticism. But I'm willing to try ANYTHING people! My friend Brandy, the same knitter-extraordinaire, has used these amber necklaces for both her kids. She says they really do work. They were on sale, so I bought one. I do believe in natural remedies, even if I am married to a Pharmacist. :)








1 comment:

  1. Where did you buy the amber teething necklace? I've heard of them and since we're also fighting the teething battle right now, I'd like to try one out.

    Love your blog! Thanks for inviting me to read it. You're so creative...I love the washer and dryer idea out of cardboard boxes. Awesome! I'm looking forward to getting to know you better, too!

    ReplyDelete